10 eCommerce Website Design and Development Tips to Maximize Results
Not all eCommerce websites are designed and developed in the same manner. They all might look on the surface but they are not. Listed below, you will find a compilation of 10 really useful eCommerce website design and development tips for maximizing results (in terms of bounce rate, user interaction and sales).
- Do not start development without first listing out all requirements; your requirement document should list out all features, down to the last detail.
- You do not need all the features that big eCommerce platforms have. If, for example, a particular set of filters serves no purpose for the kind of products you are selling, why not just get rid of them.
- Page load times are really important; the pages should be designed in a way that they do not take too long to load on a user’s smartphone. No one is going to more than few seconds for all products to load.
- Simple is beautiful; regardless of the platform you choose for building an eCommerce website, it is important that you keep the present layer i.e. the page design neat and simple.
- Focus on navigation; you need to carefully check if all eCommerce website menus (for desktop and mobile versions both) are really easy to use.
- Name all navigation menu items in an intuitive manner; do the same for copywriting the entire website.
- Simplify the checkout process as much possible; developers cannot always tell which process simple and which one isn’t. Seek feedback from other people to know what will work best for your eCommerce website.
- Avoid developing a new website from scratch; it makes no sense to develop an eCommerce portal from ground up when there are so many free or paid utilities available. You can build on top of a robust core.
- Test the website thoroughly before you start promoting it. Even if a small filter isn’t working on a page, it could mean loss of trust for many site visitors.
- Design powerful landing pages to maximize returns from marketing campaigns.