A broken link is a web page which is user is unable to find or access for various reasons. An error message is returned to the user by web server when you access a broken link. The other name for broken link is dead link or link rot.
Few examples of broken links
Know more about broken links as here below are some examples of the error codes that may present you error codes for a dead link.
• 404 Pages Not Found: The error appears when the page or resource doesn’t exist with server.
• 400 Bad Request: In case if the host server is unable to understand URL available on the page.
• Bad host: It is invalid host name in case the server is not accessible or available
• Bad URL: It is malformed URL that it contains missing bracket, extra slashes, wrong protocol etc.
• Bad Code: It gives Invalid HTTP response code as the server violates HTTP specifications.
• Empty: It is the condition when the host server returns empty response with no content or code.
• Timeout: HTTP Request link check during the given timeout
• Reset: It is not configured or busy leads host server to drops connections.
What are the reasons for broken link?
There are various reasons that can lead to broken link. It can be due to the reasons mentioned as follows:
• In case you have entered incorrect URL either misspelled or mistyped.
• It can cause 404 errors in case of URL structure of your site recently changed without a redirect.
• The site is no longer available either it has been offline, or has been permanently moved.
• In case of links moved or deleted to content.
• If you don’t get outside access due to firewall or geolocation restriction.
Why are Broken Links affects SEO?
Broken links will affect your Google search results, but doesn’t impact your overall SEO. It affects the quality of site, ranking as it increase bounce rate. But it doesn’t mean that you will start losing your ranks. For example Apple site scanned 2000 URLs with 9 failed responses. That doesn’t mean apple will start losing their ranks but it can be either neglected or abandoned. Google notifies you a new issue detected on your site.
You should not ignore the impact of dead link as it can affect the user experience. It matters a lot for SEO ranking. The search engine algorithms change; it is main goal for better search and good experience for user. Search engine can understand broken link but your user won’t be forgiving and it can reduce your reputation.
It doesn’t matter if you have one or more broken links, each visitor will make decision on bases of usability, experience, load time and content. If link exists on your site, visitor won’t be able to access the information and they will move back to other site to get the information they require. The minimum time spend on your site, higher is the bounce rate.
How to Find Broken Links on your website?
The simplest, easiest and fastest way to find if your site has broken links. You can make use of SEO timer report and check the broken link on page. If you have hundreds of pages or posts on your site you can make use of simple tool like SEO timer’s DIY SEO, SEMrush, Ahrefs and more to crawl all of your pages to analyse broken links or download a plugin for your CMS platform.
On Google Search Console
Google Search Console helps to identify the issue with your site after bots have crawl your site. In case a website is broken, it will notify you. They will only show URLs on your website not the external links.
You can find these errors in your Google Search Console > Crawl > Crawl Errors:
• If your URL’s are not important it will not affect your search results.
• The report will show how important are the broken links.
• These pages will only affect your current search results
Similar actions can also be performed by using other SEO tools to detect broken links on your site.
How to resolve broken links issues on your website?
On the basis of your content weekly, you should check them regularly to keep your site ranking.
• Check Google Crawl Errors
• Avoid deep links in website unless (or until) it is important.
• If the problem is with the external link, you should approach the linking website and you can request a fix.
• You can also make use of redirection mechanisms
• You can either recreate or replace the content at broken URL.
• Redirect your broken page to relevant page on your site.
If you are unable to resolve link issues then you can get assistance from Web Media InfoTech in Zirakpur. Feel free to ask your queries not only about SEO, web development, website design, digital marketing, reputation management, application development and website maintenance.